Cameron Fraser and I are now joint car-owners! Yep it's true, a nice little 1989 Honda Civic. Not the sporty hatchback edition but the family-oriented four door "sedan" if you will. It's such a blessing. In other news it's good to be back here and have a sense of purpose. I guess being home in Saskatchewan gave me a chance to reflect and determine what sort of life I'm actually wanting to lead in the future. And also where I want to lead it (it's definitly not here). I love the prairies. People say I'm wierd and that's probably true.
Back to the sense of purpose. It's really to make the most of the opportunities I've been given. Which are: working lots, paying off some debts, recording as much as possible, and playing with the band. I really want to record enough stuff in order to release an indie album some time within the next year or so. We'll see how that goes. It's going to be a minimalist project that's for sure (I have very limited resources when it comes to equipment). Yet, there's a great disk that probably not many of you have heard of called Plea for Tenderness by the artist "Dump". Here's a snippet of a review I found:
McNew's own songs are his strongest yet--previous Dump albums were a little uneven, but A Plea for Tenderness has pure-pop bounce ("Clarity"), ghostly reveries ("Made For It" and the expansive, eight-minute "So Long"), sonic explorations ("Knicks Win") and trippy experiments ("The Big Bands"), all delivered in McNew's guileless voice over casually excellent guitar, organ and bass lines, along with drum parts whose occasional shambolic naivete are a large part of their charm. Yep, there's that word again. A Plea For Tenderness is an unbelievably charming album.
Anyway, my point being that the entire album was recorded in his bedroom on a meager four track cassette machine. How inspiring is that!

Post a Comment
<< Home