"From a philosophical perspective, the universal belief in evil demons is based on the need for an explanation of the enormous quantity of moral and physical evil pervading human existence for our entire history. I suppose, too, that devils in some way serve to excuse our own evil actions and mitigate our sense of responsibility for the harm we do. Psychologically, demons may well be a projection of ourselves, the worst part of our nature or the most feared part of our own nature." (skepdic.com)
I have a real problem when people pass things off as being "from the devil", or "of Satan". I don't know why I'm thinking about this right now...just popped into my head. I don't really believe in Satan. It seems like a scare tactic, or a cop out. Some might say that it's impossible to believe in God without believing in Satan. Well I don't think that's true. I think God is in everything. As humans we make choices in life, some of them may be bad choices, but I don't think that's Satan's doing. It's just free will at work. If we make a bad choice, sometimes there will be bad consequences. Seems logical. I think alot of the "evil" in the world is purely a result of bad choices. And some of what some might consider evil, others find no harm in. Consider dancing as an example. I know of some people who might think it's evil, but I enjoy it. Am I evil? I don't think so, it's just a choice. There are many things that fit into this catagory. I don't think I need to make an exhausive list, but to name a few things that might be evil to some and not to others: smoking, drinking, (the oh so evil) pre-marital sex, the aforementioned dancing, etc... Granted every action has a reaction, and without proper care certain things may have a nastier reaction than other things, but does that mean they're evil?
The Christian people reading this might think I'm evil just for thinking about such things. I'm always open for conversation, but I'm never open to people imposing ideals on others. I hate the feeling that I might be judged by so and so if they knew about this or that. Let's start genuinely caring for people instead of fretting over what they do. I think that's a good place to start.
I hope this all made some sense, my brain is tired from the late night yesterday. So much fun though, thanks to everyone who made it out! Very enjoyable evening.

i fully agree with kristy-anne. people blame the devil for alot of their own actions. as you said their free will. intresting thoughts. keep it up
12:41 p.m.
I'd say I relate to your post. I've gotten so tired of people finding satan under every bush. Maybe it's the Frank Peretti influence. When people screw up, my first reaction is never that Satan was behind it. My first thought is that people made decisions based on experience or lack of experience or whatever (or greed, revenge, etc). When I look at some of the crap that goes down in the world, I muse that God must put ENORMOUS value on free will to let it go on like this (though my friend Randy would say that maybe God just doesn't care - We've got our plans. God has his).
Anyway, keep posting your thoughts man. We're the only species that does it :)
Scotty D
11:00 a.m.
thanks for all the thoughts guys/girls. it's nice to have an honest conversation about these sorts of things. let's keep it going. love you all,
-matty-
2:12 p.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home