After an exceedingly long stretch of health, my fortunes turned yesterday. I felt it coming on the subway, increasingly so on the bus, and by the time I got to work I knew it would be a rough day. And it was. I went through almost 3/4 of a big box of kleenex. I mean, "Puffs", if we are to be brand specific. For those of you who are unaware, I am a "delivery representative" for a certain company whose name I won't mention. This means I drive around Toronto and visit various convenience stores, and provide them with product. Needless to say, the day was filled with much sneezing, and anguish.
I called in sick today. I haven't done that in forever, and I feel bad about it. But I know I'd feel worse if I was working. So I decided to update my blog. And drink tea, eat soup, and sleep.
I guess I could tell you folks about my move to Toronto. My brother Greg and I made the drive July 1, through Manitoba, stopping off to see Brendan in the Peg. Then through the beautiful lake of the woods, and my new favorite town, Kenora. We made it to Thunder Bay on the first night. I won't go on and on, but it was great fun, and we live in a great country.
I arrived at my new house by myself, after driving thru this megacity for the very first time. I was slightly nervous, but it was lessened because of the research done by my lovely Catherine. She figured it was a good house, so I believed her. And it is.
I had to live for two months in a small room right by the front door, with a crappy bed and not enough space, but now I've moved into the master bedroom on the second level. It's great. I lookout onto the street. Which means I can keep an eye on the crazy man with a cat. He likes to step outside fairly often and yell at the other crazy man who lives a few doors down. The neighborhood is called, "The Junction", which sounds cool, and actually is. It's not really trendy, but there seems to be a mix of all different kinds of people here, and I regularly pass people who I think would be good to talk to. Though I rarely do. Also, it's a 10 minute walk to the subway, which is very handy, as I take transit everywhere. Here's a view from my room:

Toronto isn't as daunting as it was originally thought to be. Yes, there are lots of people. Yes, there are a lot of businessy types on Bay Street. It is smoggy (this part is probably the worst part). If I was to compare it to Vancouver, I'd say it's not as pretty, but much, much nicer. The people here, at least the people I've run in to, have been really friendly. Much like Saskatoon people. I regularly have random conversations with people on the street while I'm working. There are too many things to do here. I do some things, but I like to stay in.
I end up spending a good amount of time on the bus. I'd say 20 hours a week on average. It takes an hour and a half to get to work, one way. This lends itself to lots of books being read, and lots of radio being listened to (on my new phone!). Though it sounds crappy, it is actually better than driving around in traffic. Rush hour here never ends. There are up to 16 lanes on Highway 401. The car, as a mode of transportation in this city at least, is not efficient, easy, or, well, anything. It just plain sucks. So I'm trying to come up with an alternative means of getting around. A scooter might work. Or some sort of jet-pack. Or a transporter, or course.
I haven't played my guitar much since April. I keep telling myself it's a phase. And it probably is.
Now, I'm going to phase myself down to the kitchen to get some more tea. And toast perhaps.

Ahh, nice to see you're actually posting on here again. How am I supposed to stalk you if you don't? And as selfish and petty as it sounds, I'm kind of glad you're not playing guitar much, because now we can be in the same boat (or at least the boat I was in when we lived together). Plus, I can say that without feeling too evil, because I know you'll just pick it up again when it's time and write ten more albums that'll leave me in the dust, so you know, whatever. Skype me, man. I'm moving into the 21st century.
6:18 p.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home